Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > Introductions, Moving to France, Living in France
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th October 2006, 08:25

Default Why do so many French dislike Americans?

What is it about Americans that many French people dislike so much? I can't figure that one out. I have not met with alot of people who feel this way, but for ANYONE to dislike me simply because I am American really confuses me. I have met people and had conversations with them on the street, at cafe's, the beach, etc. and a few have actually WALKED AWAY without anouther word once they realized I am American. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Old 7th October 2006, 10:51

I've never really felt that they disliked us, more so our government.
Old 7th October 2006, 10:53

I can't say I'M all that crazy about it, either.
Old 7th October 2006, 17:24

There should be no reason why we don't accept each other on a person to person basis. Stereotypes hurt everyone. So if someone walks away from you because of preconceived notions about America or America's government, which is also subjective, just ignore them. Or try to.
Old 9th October 2006, 00:59

It's too bad people have to deal with stereotypes like that, but the good news is that not every French person would walk away as soon as they know you're American

Now if only I can make sure my French is good enough that I don't end up insulting them while trying to say hi lol
Old 9th October 2006, 05:25

yeah, a lot of people are narrow-minded and can be too rude just because of the misconceptions they get from media. americans are not only the ones stereotyped. i myself am very infuriated to find some nasty comments about asians.

Last edited by sweet_mayhem : 9th October 2006 at 05:28.
Old 9th October 2006, 09:11

To me, saying that French hate Americans is just as prejudiced as hating us in the first place. I would definitely say it's true that they don't like our government or the way our country handles foreign affairs, and perhaps some of them take it out on us... but, I've met plenty of people here who are perfectly pleasant on finding out I'm American. Eventually, they might ask me how I feel about my government's policies (or how the heck I can stand them), but that's something different.
________
Washington dispensaries

Last edited by karenlyn : 11th August 2011 at 14:45.
Old 9th October 2006, 09:22

I NEVER use the word "hate" when referring to ANY person. I am NOT prejudiced. I am a bit offended by that comment, Karenlyn.
Old 9th October 2006, 10:31

Hi all,

I would like (as French) give an answer.
Until now, there was absolutely no problem with Americans in France.
For the majority we thought that American were friends. Sure, there was stereotyped view on both side, but anywhere there are stupid people.
Bush and his govnerment launched a hating campaign against French .
I understand why. It is just politic. When you focalize attention , there is less time for questions...
This campaign was relayed by the us press and a part of your population and did many damages in France. (the "Punish France" of Mrs Rice).
One of my friend experimented a terrific experience in Chigago airport because he was French. The son of another friend, in the frame of school exchange was refused by an US family because he was French...
I had a hard "welcome" in 2003 in NY seeing "Fu*k France" stickers on some car, taxi and even firemen trucks...
So don't worry, we are not ready to put stickers on our car, but there is a deep deception here of what are USA today.
Americans , as individuals are welcome in France but for many French that loved USA it will take time to fix the damages between our countries.
It is stupid to hate someone because of its nationality.
Old 9th October 2006, 10:43

I'm afraid USA has more than it's fair share of imbiciles. I am very sorry you were insulted. I guess I just turned a deaf ear to all of that "Boycott French Products" idea while I was home, because to me it was just ridiculous. I honestly was not aware there were actually bumper stickers, as I've never seen one. I am not even the least bit interested in politics, I find it ALL so hypocritical.

Last edited by ameri-cannes : 9th October 2006 at 11:58.