Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > French Lifestyle, Culture and Politics
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2006, 17:07

Default Flirting

I used to think it was a stereotype, but I've come to the conclusion that the French (not all of them, of course) are better at flirting than Canadians are. Canadian men either don't do it for fear of being rude (which is fine) or they do it badly and end up being obnoxious or vulgar. Only in France did men say nice things about my eyes without expecting so much as a comment in return. It was just done in passing on the train, escalator, etc. Is this an isolated experience or have other women found this to be true?
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:41

Hmm I guess it all depends, knowing Canadian men and women, I can't really find a giant gap; however, it's obvious that culture probably makes for two different approach.
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:28

I know exactly what you're talking about. French men just have a smoother way about them in my experience.
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:31

It can be a bit odd or unsettling when you're not ussed to it but yes I have noticed this in France. However I have also noticed the unpleasant side of it in certain places and sometimes people are very unsubtle about it.
________
herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by ninikins : 7th February 2011 at 10:55.
Old 25th August 2006, 20:56

That's a good point, that if you're used to one way and then a guy comes on to you in a much more overt way that can be unsettling.
Old 26th August 2006, 06:21

Heh, well I guess everyone is entitled to his (or her) own opinion. I guess that aside from the mind of these people, the surrounding must help quite a lot...
Old 27th August 2006, 22:21

Well, sure. But I must say I actually prefer the way French men flirt over just about any other culture.
Old 29th August 2006, 00:17

In movies, it's always the flamboyant, young Italian man/woman who seems to flirt the best, was anyone able to "compare" the two?
Old 30th August 2006, 01:24

Default flirting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashmire
In movies, it's always the flamboyant, young Italian man/woman who seems to flirt the best, was anyone able to "compare" the two?
This is just based on my isolated experience, but I found the flirting more aggressive in Italy, more invasion of personal space.
Old 30th August 2006, 01:42

Hmm...well it does make sense, that's a bit how movies portray it too, not much walking around, and simply going straight to the point